Monday, August 28, 2006

The End of the Movie Theater!


I'm at the theater yesterday watching Invincible unable to concentrate very well between the little girl behind me tapping her foot against the back of my chair, her father explaining the entire movie in detail to the girl's mother and the general loudness of everyone tearing into their five dollar bags of M&Ms. My mind wanders far from the big screen to my little HD-DVD player at home and start thinking "this really could be the end of the movie theater". I never really believed that before because watching a film at 2k on the big screen with digital sound always seemed like a superior way to see it. Now I'm not so sure. I watched The Last Samurai last night, which I purchased for less than two theater tickets and the picture quality is unbelievable. I'm noticing things that I didn't even see in the theater and sitting there on my comfy couch drinking my 50 cent can of Coke thinking "it doesn't get any better than this". Am I just getting old or has the home theater experience become better than the actual theater experience?

4 Comments:

Blogger tom said...

I agree with you, Tom! When you go to the movies now, you're constantly being distracted by the audience so much that the movie experience is RUINED! When I get a fancy TV and the next-Gen format wars are over, I might as well stop going to the movies.

11:27 AM  
Blogger 3DBurke said...

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm so damn inpatient to see a newly released movie I'd never go to the theatre. If only they had an HD pay per view system established with new films to give us the option to stay home.

12:11 PM  
Blogger tomwright said...

HD pay per view? That's a fantastic idea! Talk about having a serious edge over rentals. I would definitely order that before a dvd rental. I'm really starting to fall in love with my hd-dvd player though. I'm really looking forward to some new titles.

4:32 PM  
Blogger 3DBurke said...

It's sort of already available on comcast. Problem is most of the HD movies are old or crap. I really have no need to ever watch Bloodrayne.

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home