Thursday, November 06, 2008

What's New is News

It's been quite some time since my last post. I've been a busy little bee over the past few months... heck, this little project started several years ago really.

When Disney laid off a large chunk of Feature Animation, several friends and I sat around a lunch table and discussed what was next for us. I mentioned back then that I was thinking about opening a Computer Graphics school. We got into a great talk about the current state of Animation and CG schools and how most of them were located back East, were expensive and never quite hit the mark on instruction. We came up with an amazing idea to teach people on the East Coast what the West coast needed in terms of Film, TV and Gaming studios. This would also strengthen studios on the East Coast because they wouldn't have to hire West Coast people to get the necessary experience to run their studios.

We were very excited and talked about really doing it until the offers started coming from other studios. The excitment soon faded as we all ran off to our next movie gig... but I never quite let it go. It's been burning in the back of my head ever since and during production on Mad2, I realized that if I was ever going to do it, now would be the time. I'm newly married, no kids, no debt and financially secure. So I finished up Mad2, packed up our stuff and headed East.

We wanted a location that would be a crossroads to everything on the East Coast and would be a nice place to live and work. Charlotte, NC jumped out at us almost immediately. North Carolina's film industry is second only to California in revenue and Charlotte is a good size city right in the middle. Most production takes place in Wilmington, NC and we're planning on taking a close look at that area also. If not for the school, for Post Production work that might be picked up by the school.

We're knee deep in a pile of government paperwork but we are well on our way to starting a brand new computer animation school. I've decided to name the school CGLC for Computer Graphics Learning Center. We're in the process of choosing a building location and will be licensed throught the North Carolina Community College Board soon. I'll try to post updates as things change but until then, visit www.CGLConline.com for the latest news.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Meyer said...

Wow! That's really exciting! Good luck, and keep us updated.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home